Posted Mar 20, 2010 in Kontests | 0 Comments

And the WINNER is…

Congratulations to Wood Alexander Brownlow for winning the Lightbeam Jacket from Nau. Wood was able to come up with the best original story about being caught in the rain. Below is his winning submission:

“During the summers I work as a Horseback Riding Instructor/Wrangler at a camp for kids located near Colorado’s Rocky Mountain National Park. At the end of each term after the campers have gotten well acquainted with the horses and learned most of the ins and outs of being on the mountain trails of the National Park, my fellow wranglers and I take thirteen campers on a three day overnight horse pack.

In Colorado and especially within the Rocky Mountains the weather can change in an instant, it can go from sunny and hot, to rainy and frigid within a matter of minutes. The first two and half days were gorgeous, it was warm and breezy, until just before lunchtime on the final day, the campers were playing Frisbee in the pasture and my fellow counselors and I were about to capture the horses that were lazily eating grass in the gated corral. As my partners and I headed to collect the horses so that we could saddle them before lunch the wind picked up and the sky began to grow really frighteningly dark. We knew we had to hurry, just as I grabbed the first horse and put the halter on to it face, I heard the first crash of thunder. Just so you know horses aren’t exactly fond of inclement weather and are as equally opposed to being tied to a fence and saddled when a storm is a’ brewing. The claps of thunder grew closer and our pace to grab the now antsy horses quickened. We captured all sixteen horses and one of the counselors went to go prepare lunch for the boys whilst, my partner Dan and myself, continued to saddle and bridle the horses. As I walked out of the tact shed, with the first saddle and blankets the sky just let loose the most incredible amount of rain I had seen in a long time. I was wearing four layers layers, a duster (a long jacket made from oilcloth) another “waterproof” jacket, a long sleeve base layer and a t-shirt, within five minutes I was soaked through, my boots were heavy with thick brown mud, and the lower portion of my jeans were sticking to my legs. Hoping the weather would clear, we continued to saddle the horses, one by one, Dan and I tightened every cinch and bridled every horse. The horses looked miserable, and we looked like we had just taken very long very cold showers with our clothes on. Once we finished saddling, Dan and I joined the boys for lunch ensuring the boys the weather would clear up soon (because as fast as weather moves in Colorado we were likely to have sun within the next five minutes). it did not stop raining.

It was getting later, and we knew we’d have a longer ride back to main camp, there was a slight lull in the rain and we used that opportunity to load the boys and their gear onto the horses. Luckily, the thunder and lightening had subsided. We grabbed the chance and we finally left the campsite. The rain lessened to a slight mist but was still windy, damp and cold, the boys were silent (which is rare for ages 11-13 year old boys). I was leading the pack and although lacking any dry spot on my body, I was trying to stay positive. This positivity, however went out the window when another wall of rain hit us when we got onto the final stretch of the trail leading into the backside of camp. Being off a horse in the rain is one thing, but being on a horse in the rain and being followed by thirteen campers is a whole different story.

This final stretch of the trail should have taken us about thirty minutes and we would have been back at camp. But this particular day it took two miserably slow hours. Everything that could go wrong went wrong, on that final stretch. Gear fell off pretty much every saddle, a couple of kids took fall off their horses (they got right back on to their credit), some boys were crying and the horses were just FREAKING out. Because as much as I wanted to get back to the barns those hoses wanted nothing more than to be undercover of a tin roof eating hay. After the long toiling tow hours of that final stretch we made it back. We were the last group in that day and I was beat, I was on and off my horse no less the fifty times that ride, my legs were killing me. And all I wanted was a hot shower.

I figured the boys would say they had such a miserable time, and never wanted to see, let alone get on a horse again. But all the boys were abuzz at the dinner tables telling their friends who weren’t on the three day overnight about what an amazing time they had and how cool and exciting it was to ride in a monsoon. Even the ones who didn’t LOVE the experience had a story to tell. Which to me felt like an achievement. All in all, I hope I NEVER have to be that wet on a horse again, I felt good and accomplished that night, but I felt even better knowing that the next day was going to be my day off.”

Congratulations Wood and enjoy your new jacket!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be Heard