Bite-Sized Book Review: A Visit from the Goon Squad
Welcome to the first of (hopefully) several Bite-Sized Book Reviews!
Why bite-sized? Because when a book is truly amazing, you don’t need a whole lot of information about it, you just need to go out and read it. So, without further ado, here are the Top 5 reasons to read Jennifer Egan‘s A Visit from the Goon Squad:
1. It’s about sex, drugs, and rock n’ roll. The lady knows what we want.
2. Egan’s a fantastic (and rather prolific) writer. Here’s a piece she wrote about model James King that will blow your mind.
3. Goon Squad itself has received extremely good reviews. It was named a New York Times Review Best Book, and was awarded the National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction, and the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
4. The cast of (multi-generational) characters is amazing. Whether it’s aging rocker Bennie or precocious Powerpoint enthusiast Alison, the characters feel as real as people you’ve known forever. You care about their problems and want them to be happy, and since the novel reads a bit like a collection of short stories, you really get a feel for all the characters’ voices.
5. There’s just enough science fiction to keep things interesting. Honestly though, the way Egan thinks that we’ll deal with technology in twenty years or so is beyond eerie.
So there you have it. If your weather’s still nice, grab a hammock and immerse yourself. If it’s getting cooler, what a perfect excuse to stay indoors! Either way, stay tuned for more Bite-Size Book Reviews!